Thursday, June 5, 2008

sock empathy and the okay man

Nice title eh?

Vignette A:

I heard at Women's Conference that even 2 year olds can help with the laundry and I thought, uh huh. But I suggested Miranda help and of course she was ECSTATIC and now I will do whatever necessary to maintain her excitement until she's age 23 at least.
One of the things that she finds most fun about helping is matching socks. We were matching white socks and we got down to the final three. She matched two and I said, "Uh oh."
"What, mommy?"
"This one doesn't have a match."
"Why?!"
"Maybe it got lost or something, I don't know."
At this point I saw her face change. She drew the little white ankle sock to her chin. Her little eyebrows squinched together and her mouth turned down.
"This one is all alone," she lamented, in sad, soft, quivery tone. "He's lost his brothers and sisters."
"Oh, that's too bad." I wanted to see where this was going.
"Those other socks in the drawer are the mean kids, and this one is leftover (she says leftover for left out)." Then she took a deep breath, looked down solemnly and uttered, "This is all my fault."
This storyline went on for some time. I loved it for many reasons, two of which are 1, she doesn't need toys in order to entertain herself (this is a big relief in my future budgeting...just give her some old socks or shampoo bottles for Christmas), and 2, her empathy extends even unto footwear.


Vignette B:

Sammy isn't yet verbally complex, although he's of course staggering in other areas. He's said several words, but he usually says them once or maybe twice, and then doesn't use them again. (However last night he repeated "No," which he's said only about 2 times previously, from about 4-4:15am.) He probably just thinks there is PLENTY of conversation already going on between Miranda and I. But I think he understands most things we say. For example, when I ask him if he'd like his milk, he says, "OHH kay." I'll ask him, "Do you want to go outside?" "OHH kay." "Would you like a treat?" "OHH kay." Simple. Helpful. THIS is communication at its most efficient.

Fernando decided that Sam just knows the way I ask questions, and then responds with "OHH kay."
I didn't think this was true. So we tested the theory.
"Sammy, do you want a treat?"
"OHH kay."
"Do you want to go downstairs?"
"OHH kay."
"Would you like to become President of the United States?"
"OHH kay."

But that doesn't prove anything. I think he really does want to be President of the United States.


7 comments:

Melissa said...

Well, we need a good president, so here's to Sammy----future president. I'd vote for him. You're kids are absolutely adorable!

Molly said...

I loved Miranda's monologue! HA! What creativity you have on your hands, Sharon (a fact you knew LONG ago)! What fun little creatures to live with. I'm happy for you and Daddy F.

Stacy said...

The sock world needs someone like Miranda to represent them. I mean, how many discarded and unmatched socks go missing each year with no one to care or lament their loss? This is a serious problem and we are lucky that someone like Miranda is sensitive to their cause.
As far as Sammy goes, Zander seems to be much more phonetically challenged. His communication seems to be limited to "Dadeeee", "no, no" and new levels of screeching...

Jana said...

I can relate well to Miranda and her monologue about the sock! In my world since childhood, everything has life! and everything ... including socks, should have a voice! This is coming from the mind of a writer ...Miranda is an upcoming Pulitzer Prize winning novalist!

Hillybug said...

i love both of these stories and am now convinced that eli and miranda will indeed get married because she is so much like his big sister! my brother starts u of u law in the fall so we will be out and really want to see you guys this time around! i'll let you know when our first visit will be.

LittleFamilyJL said...

Vote for Sammy, 2058. (Is that an election year? I'll have to check my sources.....)

Amy & Greg said...

That is so funny. Miranda...I am so happy to hear that there are children out there who are empathetic--even to a sock. This is wonderful to see as a psychologist who has met with many children who don't seem to get this important character trait.

Sammy--I wish I could get Andrew to say Okay or yes. He does nod, however.