Friday, April 3, 2009

tell it like it is

This is Miranda (and Sam, in a cameo) in front of the library. I picked out her clothes (she would NEVER pick out jeans--too stiff) but let her dress herself. So as you can see I am a very trusting mother because she has her pants on backwards. Yeah. And this is as we are LEAVING the library after a length of her prancing about that way. So I guess I need to up my game when it comes to protecting my kids from embarrassment.

But she got me back. And at the Library...sweet irony.

We went to storytime at the library, and all the kids were seated in the middle of the room raptly absorbing pictures and words. The moms were all seated in chairs around the periphery of the room observing in auto-pilot mode.

The storyteller introduced a new book:


"This book is about a bird who was grumpy," the storyteller said. "Do you know what grumpy means?"

Silence. One little girl said, "angry!" Another yelled, "mad!"

"Yes..." the storyteller replied, "when people are acting that way or when they are in a bad mood or seem upset, that's called 'grumpy.' Have any of you ever been grumpy?"

All the little pinky cheeked perfect little angels shook their heads no in silent assurance that they had never behaved in such an abhorrent manner. Miranda broke the silence:

"My MOM has."

Laugher from all the mom's and fiery blushing from me.

The mom next to me said, "Someone's been tattled on!"

"It's me," I fessed. "And sadly, it's true."

So, I am sorry to say I am sometimes grumpy. But at least we're working through it in the group therapy session called "Library Storytime."




14 comments:

Mrs. Egg said...

Oh you are in trouble.

randi said...

so funny! i can totally see my daughter selling me out too! unforunately i too have at times been grumpy. the funny thing is that when she is grumpy i tell her to go back to her room until she is ready to be happy...i should probably send myself back to my room some days too! and the pants thing...no worries. you gotta pick your battles right? i let my hannah go to school today in a less than flattering outfit she had put together herself. she was so proud of it and i just had to step back and let her go! =)

Melissa said...

Grumpy? You? Doubt it! But even so, I hope it's true! Don't ask my kids....they'll give you an earfull!

Stacy said...

That face says it all, you've certainly got a little firecracker on your hands.
I'm terrified of what my son must be blurting out in kindergarten. I just know all our sorted moments are being replayed during "free time" inbetween sword fights and legos.
What makes it worse is that I occasionally substitute in his class so they all know me personally.

LittleFamilyJL said...

I love it. That is absolutely hilarious!

Julie Kaye said...

Oh man....Miranda strikes again!!! You are the best at telling a story Shar!!!

Ace said...

Im so glad you're writing all these things down. Your children will love it when you are older. :)

Jenn Knight said...

Too funny!! We just checked this book (Grumpy Bird) out from the library, too, and Madi could not get enough of it... maybe because it reminded her of me? :) Grumpy moms, unite!

Oh and let's just say I empathize with the clothes... On Thursday, I wondered why people were giving me strange looks, then I realized Madi had on green floral pants,a white shirt dotted with small flowers (which was- incidentally- on backwards), pink patterned socks and black shoes on the wrong feet. Oh, and the pants were also too short. I think I'm going to make a button for her to wear that says, "I dressed myself today!" for all those people who have never had the pleasure of raising a 3 year old.

oh, p.s. if you don't wash any of her other pants/skirts for a while, the child will eventually choose jeans over naked legs (usually). Not that I would know or anything...

Elise said...

haha...this story is SOO funny!! I love hearing about all these things your kids do. Such personalities- it's great!

I remember when I was little I had this little jean skirt and mickey mouse shirt that I basically never took off (seeing pictures of myself in these clothes- I'm lucky I wasn't picked up by a bum on the street. I sure looked like a I'd belong there.) I have no doubt my mom was tired of fighting with me to wear other things..one day the clothes just disappeared...I beginning to think I had a very sneaky mom :-)

Erica said...

You are HILARIOUS! I love it!!!!

Jana said...

No worries, Sharon ... Grump happens ... they named a dwarf after it!

mckenzie said...

nothing like group therapy. thanks for playing today. i love you. really.

Danny and Laura said...

You are such a great story teller. I love checking your blog for your stories and your cute kids. I hope you don't mind since I've never actually met you, but it's fun getting to know you a little bit through your blog.

Amy & Greg said...

Oh, how I wish I could have been at that group therapy session! So funny!