She played young Martha May Who, the Grinch's love interest in elementary school and beyond, and I, of course, played:

The role comes naturally to me.
Sam wasn't really involved, but he was likely cast--happily--as Max the dog. Another naturally fitting role.
She kept the Grinch game going as we drove around doing errands. She likes to add drama to otherwise sufficiently dramatic stories so she wanted me, as the Grinch, to talk about my feelings about my treatment by the other Who's, my feelings that I was too ugly to warrant her affections, and my disdain towards Christmas.
I lamented in my Grinchy way that I didn't understand Christmas, that it was all about stuff and presents and decorations and I didn't like all that. Martha May paused, thinking intently about how to teach me about the true meaning of Christmas.
"Mommy," she said as an aside to the dialogue, "This is the Grinch 2, where Martha May knows about Jesus."
The Grinch 2...perfect. This would allow Martha May to give me, the Grinch, a spiritual insight and thus change me to the nice Grinch (which is, I think, the true meaning of the Grinch story...that the love of Christ or charity enters into his heart and makes it grow...alas, I wax philosophical...you can't fool me with your fanciful language and innocent rhymes, Dr. Seuss).
Anyway.
Miranda added, as an aside, "Because in most movies they don't really care about Jesus."
I got the message. Media isn't just influencing the young (and the rest of us) through what's there, but through what's missing. Any 3 year old can tell you that.
8 comments:
Miranda is amazing, as is her Mother!
teehee!
The Grinch in May. Love it.
We've been playing Santa & his reindeer for the past month. Flying about our basement, laying fingers aside our noses and filling stockings until Rudolph "hears" someone waking in the household and quick as a wink, we're out and on to the next house. Why weren't we playing this in December???
I love Miranda's deep thoughts. Thanks for sharing. I really, truly, deeply love your life.
I thought the Grinch 2 was when the Grinch got married to the princess and they had a baby that threw up a lot.
oh, wait. That was Shrek...3.
And that didn't have much to do with Jesus either.
Point taken.
oh miranda you genius! and sharon you too, for playing an excellent grinch and teaching your kids truth. ;) let's hope that comes out of my kids one of these days instead of how mean i really am.
You gotta be kidding me!!! Just can't get enough of her antics!
Everytime I read one of your posts it makes me want to find the time to blog again because I love your insights and storytelling ability. Also, is it too early for Miranda and Ashton to get betrothed? I think they would be perfect for eachother. I find myself acting out similar dramatic situations involving Wolverine and his feelings as an outcast. Imagine the fun they would have!
Miranda, what a gal! I love that you are so good at playing with her and I love the insights she has, what a smart (and deep) girl she is, can't wait to see her in a few weeks!
Post a Comment