Thursday, August 27, 2009

spidey

Last night Sammy couldn't (wouldn't?) sleep from around 3:30 until 6 something when I finally got up with him and Miranda who had woken up as a result. He's asleep now at 10:12 am on the floor in the family room so I guess he'll be okay. But that is beside the point of this post. This is the point:

Sam loves Spiderman.

I know this for several reasons:

1. He always asks to watch the DVD of either spiderman 1 (which is no longer working because of his constant carrying around of it) featuring the green goblin or spiderman 2 (working...for now) featuring Doc Octopus or whatever his proper name is--we call him Octopus Man--instead of asking to watch movies more 2-year-old-ish like even Cars or Bolt (which he also loves).

2. He and Miranda act out a play of Spiderman. It is by far the coolest play. It begins with Sammy as Peter Parker just walking around (literally he turns around in one spot) until he gets bit by a spider (Miranda...who informed us she is filling this role only until our new baby is born, whom she has also cast as Harry the friend/enemy of Peter/Spidey)(Which gave her another reason to be glad we are having a boy so it sounds great to me).
Then he wakes up and notices his strength increasing--really REALLY good acting here by Sammy--spikes forming on his fingers to help him climb, climbing skills he demonstrates on the couch and wall, and, not to forget, the ability to shoot webs out of his wrists.
The play continues with the Green Goblin (me) capturing MJ (Miranda again) and Spiderman thwarting me with his webs. Then Octopus Man (Fernando) captures MJ and Spiderman defeats him too (whereupon Spiderman gives out a gleeful un-manly squeal in this version) and proceeds to embrace the much taller but gorgeous MJ as the grand finale. I love this play.

3. If his constant requests to either watch the movie or perform the play (at a variety of venues, I might add) did not confirm his love for Spiderman, his recounting of the play to me at least 40 times last night as I tried to get him to sleep demonstrated the depth of his committment to the character. I think you might see Spidey back on this blog at Halloween.

4. He asked to be painted as Spiderman of course at our block party a few weeks ago and one of the sweet young women did a great job. He loved it. Even if it did leave his face pink for days.


Miranda asked to have a princess crown (also a big surprise ;)


but spent most of her time dancing like a gypsy with some other neighborhood girls for the decent, respectable members of our neighborhood. Oh well. You can't keep that kind of talent hidden.
All in all I have to say that luckily I have realized that I am a mom who actually enjoys the magnification of imaginary play and characterization to this level where it takes over our lives day after day. This realization is probably not a big revelation to those who know me but still, it helps when I am up going through the script at 4 am with my 2 year old Spiderman.


4 comments:

Jana said...

I'm all about the imaginary play ...I wrote scripts and acted out a variety of programs as a child, constantly trying to recruit siblings for characters ( I always had the starring role and I was always the director) I was all about the drama! I am sure there were times when I drove my family nuts! You are a great mom for encouraging such fun!

Melissa said...

How totally adorable! Does Sammy watch the "real, grown-up" versions of Spiderman....or are they cartoon style? Just curious. I don't even think my older kids have seen those shows. (Maybe the second one....) At any rate, what a cutie! Keep up the good work.....you have great dedication!

Stacy said...

Zander also has strange taste in movies for a two-year-old. As I'm trying to push Barney or Jay Jay the Jet Plane. He insists on these moviemaking gems (and by that I mean horrendously annoying)
-Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with dancing oompa loompas
-The (live-action) Cat in the Hat with a very badly cast Mike Myers
-The (live-action) Scooby Doo movie Monster's Unleashed.
No plays yet for him, that's Ashton's department. It seems Miranda has been a better older sibling who casts her younger brother in her theatrics. Ashton doesn't think Zander is talented enough, he would rather use his plastic action figures :)

Emily said...

PLEASE can you video the play and post it???!! Would love to see your cute actors!