Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Farnsworth Farms

We are home from our wonderful trip to California to witness Fernando's sister Nancy's beautiful wedding (more later), and now we find ourselves in the throng of Utah fall! Gorgeous! I feel like the colors and smells and harvest are just spread out to us like a welcome mat.

A little bit ago the miniatures and I went on a fieldtrip with a bunch of homeschooling families (perhaps more on that later, too) to Farnsworth Farms in Sandy. SO FUN! Made me think about abandoning our suburb lives and jobs and trading them for driving tractors and growing things all day every day. I've also thought a lot about starting a llama farm because we're Peruvian. Seriously. My husband doesn't take the suggestion too seriously, but I just see us running around in our alpaca ponchos and giving rides to kids on llama fest day. The thought is still alive because thankfully I don't usually imagine the spit or feeding the llamas or the smell...

So anyway, we went to this fun farm and got to tour the cider press and taste their delicious DELICIOUS cider. Here are the kids in an apple box where the apples wait to be pressed into cider. Poor, unsuspecting apples. Didn't think about it at the time but our kids sorta stick out here! Scandinavians all around them! Including me :).



The kids all got to pick and eat an apple. These two love apples and love picking things from the garden/tree and eating them right then and there. Another reason I think we could/should be farmers.

Aren't you getting hungry for a crisp, sweet bite? Sammy especially makes it look SO appetizing. (Notice the very well-priced, non-pasturized, freshly pressed cider we bought nestling between the herbivores.)

The highlight was the tractor-ride around the farm. My dad used to have a tractor. It was a green John Deere, and he parked it right in our driveway in the hills of Bountiful, where we did NOT have a farm. I think he might have had some part in this thing I have for farms and being a farmer.
Luckily we have a garden at our house and my husband lets me put corn stalks up in front of our house during fall, and we live in a state that has lots and lots of open space and people who are still farming. Go Utah! (The state not the team.) (Go BYU! :))

BY THE WAY: Farnsworth Farms is hosting a "GREAT PUMPKIN FESTIVAL": Here are the details! We will be attending for sure.
Farnsworth Farms
Friday & Saturday, October 16 & 17, 23 & 24
Monday, October 26 5:00—8:30 pm
Friday, October 30
11228 S 700 E
Sandy, Utah 84070
801-571-0858
Open Monday—Saturday9:00 am—7:00 pm
We will show an outdoor children's
Halloween movie.Bring a warm jacket,chairs, blankets andhave a great time! Movie begins at dusk
• FREE OUTDOOR MOVIE
• Hay Rides—1 ticket
• Bounce House—1 ticket
• Hamburgers, Hot Dogs
• Caramel Apples, Drinks
• Apple Cider, Popcorn
• Face Painting Booth
• Vendor Booths
• Pumpkin Patch
1 Ticket per Hayride
or Bounce house time:
2 Tickets for $1.00
15 Tickets for $5.00

2 comments:

Molly said...

Oh! This is a very festive, very fall-ish post and I'm lovin' it. I DO want a bite of Sammy's apple, crunch, crunch!
It looks as if you had glorious weather for your fieldtrip. Mike took the kids to a pumpkin patch last weekend (I was at an RS meeting)and it was so cursed cold that they only stayed a few mins. Minnesota's fall lasted all of one week this year. Brrrr!
I'm looking forward to your posts-to-be, Nancy's wedding and your thoughts/feelings on homeschooling. You are so fun to read! :)

Lexie said...

It looks so fun and I could totally see you in your alpaca poncho giving free rides, Sharon, why have I never seen this life for you before! Seriously, you are the best writer - you have the gift!