Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Rainbow: A Eulogy

He was steady, always there.

He asked for little, just a moment or two of our attention each day.

He was left out of family vacations, yet he never complained, at least audibly.

It was a solitary life.

His dearest friend even pretended he was a girl, and he coped.

Rainbow was good to us.



As you can see, Mimi was so excited to get Rainbow, her first (and hopefully only!) pet. Rainbow was a "kinda blue with some green and red stripes on his fins with some orange on his tail" beta fish, born sometime before July 2009 and died December 2009. It was a long life for a beta fish.

And although I heard the tearful words, "Mom, it was all your fault," when Rainbow died because I forgot to add a filter pill to the water after I washed his tank a week previous, we think it was his time to go.



His mortal remains rest in peace in the corner of the backyard in a medicine box. Dad and Mimi and S were there for the service where Mimi said a few words and the three said a prayer.


Rainbow's death was difficult for Mimi. I thought she would cry for at least 2 days straight. But it was only about 2 hours straight. So we were thankful.





On a more serious note, she was genuinely comforted by her knowledge of the resurrection and the life after this one, even if she was upset that Rainbow would probably return to live with his fish family and perhaps not us (we can visit him, though).

What would we do without our knowledge of God's plan for us?!
(and isn't Fernando such a great dad?!)









6 comments:

Julie Kaye said...

Love it! Sad for Mimi and sad for rainbow.......but I loved your post!

Melissa said...

Gosh, I think we always flushed our fish down the toilet. Only our dog made it to the backyard (with a real service). Don't tell my kids you guys are way better parents than us! :)

Little Family Fun said...

May he/she/it rest in peace.
And thank heavens for short attention spans!

Lexie said...

Farewell Rainbow!

C Stevens said...

Hi Sharon, Fernando and family. Claire showed me you blog.
What a great story.

Tonya said...

Confession. I have killed 3 fish - 2 on purpose. All of them have had the same tragedy: the garbage disposal.