She wanted to play something having to do with girls who don't want to marry certain guys and I wasn't getting it, I guess. So, to help clarify, she uttered these words which I never expected to hear from my 4 year old in 2010:
"It's like on 'Saved By The Bell'..."
excuse me?
"Saved By The Bell?" I said.
"Daddy and I watched it on TV." So my husband was the culprit. Bless him for introducing our kids to the finer things.

Speaking of introducing these kids to the finer things, I have been wanting to work out more, and I can't figure out how to schedule it with the kids. So I figured, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. I scoured the library one day for a mommy and kids yoga dvd. No luck. But I DID find a "Richard Simmons" exercise video! And I thought, that might be just the thing to hold our attention and get us to enjoy wiggling our waistlines.
I told Fernando what I had found and he forbade us from watching it and told me it would turn our kids into weirdos. Since they're already weirdos and since I think he was just kidding...I think...I busted it out one morning. Of course I prepped the kids as to what we were going to do, and I told them that the leader acts a little funny and has puffy hair. So, they knew what they were getting into. Sortof.
Richard was in a mall when he greeted us, and he and all of his 80's clad friends were excited to exercize with us. Miranda said, "It looks like 'Saved By The Bell'!" and started dancing along. Sammy tried doing a few moves and after about 10.5 seconds said, "I'm done Mommy" and took off. I told Fernando that later and he was proud.
Miranda and I pressed on while Sammy distanced himself from the "puffy hair guy". I finally ended it when Miranda started comparing Richard's exercize friends to people we know. "That looks like Jackie's mommy!" (Names have been changed to protect the innocent.) I could just see her showing up at a family reunion or Church and saying, "Hey, you look like that guy I saw on Richard Simmons!" And, frankly, I was done. Even though Richard told me I could do it and he wanted to hug me.
As a postscript here, I should mention that later that day when we were telling daddy about our adventures, we brought up our encounter with Richard and showed him a few moves. So we've gleaned some sweet moves from the experience at least. And Fernando asked Miranda how it really was, and Miranda said, smiling, "It was pretty lame, Dad." That word, "lame," she has never used before. Fernando gave her a high five.
So, I'd say hubby and I are doing a pretty fair job of teaching our children about the 80's and 90's. Perhaps my next step should be introducing them to this:


10 comments:
That was so funny! You can tell Fernando that I actually like Richard Simmons (in a very distant sort-of way)....but you've got to admit, he is very positive and has done a lot of good for overweight people. (Plus, I pretty much grew up in the 80's, so I have fond memories of that syle of hair, which unfortunately he hasn't changed through the years, but "to each his own," I guess). Either way, I was totally laughing at this post. ANd by the way, your kids can't be sheltered forever. Way to go Fernando! :) hee, hee
You have to introduce your kids to the Goonies movie! There intro to our generation cannot be complete without it.
I love your posts. Like little, real-like, short stories that you read simply for pleasure! I love it all! I bet she said....That looks like Sydnee's mom! I do have puffy hair :)
It sounds like Miranda would love a "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" night. Just girls. And hair and popcorn. Hey maybe Abby and I will have you over!
uh oh, you know how i feel about jareth, the goblin king! all i can tell you is that my childhood was actually filled with zack, kelly, slater, screech, jesse, etc., working out to sweatin' to the oldies, & watching labyrinth over & over & over; and i turned out pretty un-lame, right guys? heh heh. right?
My kids LOVE that movie. Well not the 10 year old but the other ones!
Richard Simmons said you could do it and he wanted to hug you!! Awesome!
That is too funny.
I bet you & Fernando have enjoyed plenty of laughs as you've "revisted" the 80's and 90's. I am thinking of some sweet 80's music right now....humming it to myself and smiling.
p.s. THANK YOU for commenting on my blog! You are my only friend! :)
This is radical. I applaud your efforts to teach them youngins about a lost generation. If only they had shows like Saved by the Bell now a-days, maybe then kids would be like we were: perfect in every way.
That is hilarious! I love that Miranda compared Richard Simmons to Saved by the Bell. That girl has style know-how! Maybe Footloose next? Just kidding!
Love your post, and I love that you capture the cute things that Miranda says. She is so advanced socially...and just amazes me every time I hear what comes out of her mouth. That girl is going to do BIG things some day. I just adore her. Thanks for sharing her with me...even though we are so far away from you. That picture of David Bowie set my heart a flutter. ;) Ow baby! Glad you posted it. Love you! Hey we were at the American Heritage Center today looking at the baby animals and I thought of you. Did you say you use to work there when you were younger?
Post a Comment