So, from nearly the start, while I was holding her Miranda liked to take the ends of my hair and tickle inside the teency little binky holes as she sucked into sleep. The reader Molly will attest and also has photographic evidence. So, her hair tickling, well, evolved is probably a good word. In sum, she hasn't given it up since, so to help her sleep without me, my mom (look in the dictionary under the word "genius" to find out more about my mom) took some of the sterilized non-synthetic hair we used to make Miranda's pocahontas wig in 2006 for Halloween, and sewed it onto what in it's previous life was a homesewn snake that you could load with bubble gum. The result: the hair pet. Miranda named it "my hair pet" the first day. In this picture it is posing as a tie. Whenever Papi sees it when we visit or he visits, he uses it as a tie just to get a reaction out of Miranda. It works.
The hair pet fulfills its purpose in the following way: Miranda holds it as she falls asleep, and uses the ends of the old pocahontas hair which is now the hair pet's beard to tickle her elbows, her feet, yes, I've even see her try to tickle her own eyeball before. She tickles her skin with the hair pet and she falls asleep. I imagine it's something like having your back scratched or your arm tickled by fingernails. Kind of a soothing tickle. I really have no idea if this is how the hair pet works for Miranda, but if I tell myself that it's like backscratching then I can label the behavior more near normal.
I have to say that, as pets go, it's not a bad one. The hair pet holds still while I clean it with shampoo and soap. It even lies still over the shower rod to dry. (Try getting YOUR pet to do that!) It doesn't eat much and it is easily portable. I haven't tried, but I think it could even fly carry-on. It gets plenty of love from its owner, and it's only lost one eye. So, I think we've provided a good home for the hair pet. I just hope it doesn't follow my daughter to kindergarten.
9 comments:
First: ? and !
Second: I need some clarification on what it does? I can picture how it's cleaned but what does it do? I'm nervous that it's clear to everyone but me but...Please advise.
Thanks! and this is why you should blog.
I added a paragraph. I hope it helps. Please let me know if not.
Yes, yes... I see the picture, and it's very impressive, but I'm afraid I'm still unclear as to what that does... she sucks on it through her binky holes? The little holes on her binky is that it? I know mothers everywhere are saying, "Yes, you moron, her itty bitty binky holes what more does she have to write?!" But wouldn't that be.. ya know, hard? Perhaps it's her gift? Well she is quite amazing. Alright, so unless you correct me I will imagine that she sucks fake hair that's been stitched to a snake through the little holes on her binky. In which case, I respond... ahhhhhhhh... and a little bit Eww.
Oh My! The Hair Pet! What a delightfully funny post, Sharon!
To all of the Seminario's blog-followers, I have seen Mimi's hair tickling fetish with my own two eyes. I laugh when I think of it. Oh, Miranda. You have the most dedicated, hilarious mother who bends over backwards (spending countless hours stitching fake hair to felt) to make you comfortable. The Hair Pet, like Rudolph and Pinocchio, shall go down in history.
splendid! I recall the real hair fetish but have not met the pet. i wonder what oddity craig will develop. we all have one so it's quite appropriate.
I was singing "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" in the shower this morning and realized that Rudolph & Columbus go down in history, not Rudolph & Pinocchio. Nevertheless! I remain resolute that the Hair Pet shall go down in history with whoever it wants to! Thank you for letting me clarify that. :)
I love it! And, may I say that I have wished that Andrew would use something similar to fall asleep. Love it!!
This made me giggle out loud.
Could you please have your mother develop some kind of "Eyelash Pet" for my Max...of course the eyelashes would need to replenish themselves, or at least be replaceable, as he would have them picked off within minutes
Post a Comment