
It is a unique and beautiful grief: to be sad for yourself, and yet happy for yourself because you've been so greatly affected by someone for so much longer than you could have asked for...and to be so happy for the person with no trace of sadness.
I remember a couple of conferences ago Fernando and I were sitting by J.D. Hucks and his son Dallin. It was Dallin's first time attending conference. The last speaker was Jeffery R. Holland. He gave a powerful address called "Prophets, Seers, and Revelators" and when he was through, we all sang "We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet." The Spirit moved us all to our feet through the whole song. It wasn't one of those times when other people are standing up so you do too, or when you stand because of propriety. We were truly moved from within, motivated by a surge of the Spirit testifying to us of the reality that God speaks to us through a Prophet today, and moved by our love for that man, Gordon B. Hinckley. I remember singing through my tears and looking over to see J.D. and Fernando doing the same. I feel very grateful to my Heavenly Father for the blessing of living my life with Gordon B. Hinckley at the helm of the Church. How can I ever know all of the ways his willingness to serve and be led has shaped my life?
This picture is the consolation.
3 comments:
Ah! Well said. Beautifully captured. I found myself talking with Greg last night about what it must have been like for President Hinckley to pass through to the other side. He must have seen his wife first and then the Savior. What would that have been like to see the person face to face whom you have represented for the bulk of your life? Wow! I imagine the statement "Well done thou good and faithful servant" would have been uttered. Then I couldn't help but imagine President Hinckley seeing President Faust, Elder Maxwell, Elder Haight, and the other dear brethren that he has worked throughout these many years. How wonderful for him to see his parents again. What a joyous reunion there was yesterday!
Sharon that was a sweet experience for Dallin and I as well. Thanks for sharing it. That day the Spirit once again testfied to my soul that we are lead by a prophet of God and that this is the true Church of Jesus Christ. May we look back on the life of President Hinckley and have a desire to be better because of his example.
you're spot on as always, and so eloquent. i think about his exit and it reminds me how i'd like mine to be. much more work to do.
Post a Comment