Thursday, March 20, 2008

Adventures of Mulan and Mulan's Grandma


Rosie is visiting and she took Miranda to Disney Princesses on Ice. Nancy and I dropped them off and WOW obviously Disney knows what they're dealing with which is billions of little girls who own miniature Disney princess outfits and are looking for a venue at which to display them. Nancy even saw a pregnant Mom dressed like Snow White. Of course princess wear should come in maternity sizes. Why didn't I ever realize that before? Why isn't there a Snow White II: Motherhood on the market? I want you to know that I'm resisting typing out a script summary that's forming in my head right now. Yes, I realize that some things are just too much for the readers of this blog.
Miranda wore her Chinese clothes she got from Patrick and XiaoYu and some of the workers said she was the ONLY Mulan they had seen! To avoid creating a situation where Rosie would feel like she had to buy 12 dollar popcorn and the like, I had packed Miranda's bag full of fruit snacks and etc. I told her right before dropping her and Rosie off that if she got hungry, Rosie had food in her bag, so she didn't need to buy any of the food there.
My mother-in-law is ideal in that she considers my directions for my kids law, even when she surely knows that I'm an idiot about many of the decisions I make concerning her descendents. This means she did NOT buy any of the food at the Ice show because I said not to. So, afterwards, Miranda kept telling us that she had wanted cotton candy but Rosie said NO. Rosie felt bad and I felt bad for making Rosie feel bad. Until Sunday.
We were sitting in Sunday School and somehow a discussion of Isaiah resulted in a sweet old lady talking about how her son spent 40 dollars per ticket (which we did not spend and much squinting occurred as a result)at Disney on Ice and then he also bought his daughter a present at the event on top of the 40 dollars and then he ALSO bought her spun sugar (Cotton Candy)!!!! At this point in the story there was a sort of inaudible gasp that swept through the Relief Society room.
Of course feeling the guilt of spending money on such frivolity, we immediately sought reprieve from our conciences. We looked at Rosie and said, "See, you didn't buy the cotton candy!" And we felt much better.

7 comments:

mckenzie said...

oh man! i can just see the drama in that lovely relief society in west valley. ; ) i was wondering if miranda made it to the show. snaps to rosie. my mom is the epitome of doing everything we tell her not to do then snickering about it.

P and L said...

I think Mulan is my favorite. 'cept for Donny Osmond.

~p

Diane said...

I left my mom in charge of my kids once for four days and left four pages of instructions. When I got home I asked her if she had any trouble with the instructions and she said, "Oh yes, I forgot about them!" But the kids sure had fun.

M said...

So cute. I love Mulan! Hey, we would love to see you here in D.C. E-mail me at meganroe21@hotmail.com, so we can get in touch when you get here. And Jon Smith (yes, EFY Jon Smith) saw your comment on our blog and said he would love to see you too. Maybe we could all get together for dinner or something.

LittleFamilyJL said...

What a cute little Mulan! She is so adorable!
And your internal script of Disney Princess-Mommies sounds intriguing....
I would definitely read it.

Stacy said...

I saw the commercials for the Disney Princesses on Ice and wanted to go so bad, but I don't think Ashton would be on board. I don't suppose they have Disney on Ice: The Forgotton Princes coming any time soon starring Eric, Prince Charming, and the Beast? Strike that, that would probably be too girly too.

Ace said...

I'm sure Miranda will not remember anything about the cotton candy. :) Hopefully she'll only remember that she got to be a beautiful Chinese princess with her grandma by her side.