I have also thought it strange that even though I'm married to Fernando I don't get to go Salsa dancing once-a-month. He doesn't even like spicy food. What's up?! None of my preconceived ethnic stereotypes have panned out.
Luckily he has of late produced a talent that (although it is truly and rightfully credited to his father, Fernando Sr., for having and passing down multitudinous artistic abilities) I will attribute to his Latin heritage.
He makes pinatas.
(I can't insert the proper character for the enyay which is the "n" in pinatas so please forgive, por favor.)
And I'm not talking simple patterns or pinatas requiring the minimum amount of creativity and work, no. He is a serious pinatamaker.
I count it irrelevant that he's only made two so far. He is a pinata genius. The first was my family cat Rusty made from a Panetone box (Fernando's favorite Italian Christmas bread). The beauty in this first edition of his fine pinata work was in the details: the fur was small pieces of orange construction paper in strips cut into smaller strips curled a-la-elementary-school with a pen. It took him quite a while and BOY was it worth it. And it was difficult to hit since it was so nice.
His second quest was a whole-body Ratatoullie for Xiao Yu's birthday. He first created a skeleton (yes, I thought he was crazy) out of cut strips of a diaper box from costco, then proceeded to cover it all in newspaper, and actually spray painted the thing with the same stuff that's on our railing in our house. I was very impressed. It's nice that my spouse keeps coming up with random ways of impressing me without even trying. The end of that story is that Xiao Yu refused to break it so it's still in her room with a belly full of air heads which were leftovers from Halloween. (I didn't say that the candy was top-notch, just the craftmanship.)
This video is a bit random but it does give a nice 360 of the pinata and a good view of my son throwing a fit while I look on languidly.
So, until I convince him to quit his job and start a full-scale production online specialty art pinata company, my husband's rare and cultural gifts will only be used to express love to his family and friends on their special days. And they will say thank you by beating the expression of his love with a bat until all the hours of his precious time are busted open to reveal candy that no one wants to eat. Ay carumba.
7 comments:
I love your blog! It is so entertaining!
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. I love you Sharon! I want to have a walkie talkie or something that is always on at your house so I can just listen to your life and make a comment every once and a while.
seriously. you have a gift, Shar. I love reading your blog. And give props to 'Nando for his mad pinata skillz!
You are preaching to the choir! You dated some pretty amazing people in your day, (pretty amazing indeed.) But the wagon in which you're eternally hitched far surpasses the any and all.
I love Fernando.
And happen to know that PiƱata* making is far down on a long list of enviable qualities.
*Note my commenting prowess in my ability to get squiggles over letters. It's on the list of my long list of enviable qualities.
I love it!! Wow!! Fernando, you never cease to impress me--or your wife for that matter. It is like num chuck skills, but better!!
Sharon, I am laughing most at you looking on "languidly" as your son throws a fit. I know that feeling all too well. It happens so often you end up kind of drowning it out. And besides, when family is around you automatically assume they will want to pick them up and love them right?
Also, airheads are awesome. Seriously, I'm planning my break in to Xiao Yu's place of residence right now to unleash those babies.
Pah! I could have laughed all night, I could have laughed all night...!!
Three cheers for the artist, Fernando! Three cheers for the blogger, Sharon! The two of you together are so very funny. I love it and I love you.
Post a Comment