Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween, of course!

Please allow me to ease my conscience by reminding you that I only said I would TRY blogging every day...it wasn't a signed commitment. Even so, I'm sorry I missed a few days. The first missed day I fell asleep in the kids room and didn't wake up until 2:45 am. The next day was Halloween. Which brings us to the subject for TODAY: costumes+candy+toddlers=INSANITY, but FUN!!!
Though I tried to discourage the choosing of "princess" as this year's costume, ultimately I knew I would give in to my child's dreams, which only came true via the mad sewing skills of Grandma Cynthia. Miranda's mental vision of herself when she chose to be a princess for Halloween was Anastasia from Cinderella. She has told me several times that she thinks Anastasia is prettier than Cinderella, and she wanted the "puffy bum" Anastasia's dress has. We trained her to say "bustle" instead and she's done beautifully. Thank you D.I. for providing me with crunchy slips that made the perfect bustle.


So the theme was the "frog prince". Fernando made the eyes with ping-pong balls.


Hesitant to kiss the froggy and turn him into a prince. I agree princes are way more complicated than frogs, and sometimes have the same breath.


Better...you can tell Sam's ready for a big smacker.


Didn't work, I guess. I love this picture because it totally captures the kids' personalities.


Flapper Katie and Miranda...Katie handed down the "justified fury" gene. Thanks a lot, Katie.


Lucy and Ricky Ricardo...I mean...Sharon and Fernando.


Back in time thanks to Fernando's photoshop abilities.


The night was crazy and he later said something about how we stayed in character the whole night because I kept making everything insane and he kept having to fix and calm everything. Nice. But he made this, so what can you do.


It was a happy Halloween. We saw lots of neighbors (by the way, Sammy didn't even want the candy he just basically ran inside every house as soon as the people opened the door). I keep telling myself he'll make a good missionary. Miranda was so nice to always make sure the people would give a piece of candy to "my baby brother" but sometimes she was so concerned about it that her "thank you" wasn't as well-timed or buoyant as we would have liked. Very few people knew what Fernando and I were supposed to be...thank you to those few who did...and so we decided that we are outdated OR way too classy for our own good.
I'll post a little picture of us with our pumpkins tomorrow even though you might not want me to. I still have a bunch of candy that we didn't get to pass out to trick or treaters, so if anyone missed the opportunity to trick or treat, we've still got a stash. This invitation is extended to people even living in, say, California, China...come on over.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Great costumes! I think every 3-year-old little girl I know was a princess this year. It must be a right of passage or something.

P and L said...

I love all your costumes! So great. And the answer is definitely "classy." Those fools.

~L

mckenzie said...

lucy and ricky! love it!.

LittleFamilyJL said...

You guys as Lucy and Ricardo is the best thing I've seen in all of my grown Halloween years!! You guys are so great.

Anonymous said...

Sharon,
Jenny told me to come and look at your website! The pictures are darling, and your family is so beautiful. You're still having a grand time at Halloween, aren't you! Katie is beautiful! Tell her Hi! for me. Your mom is a fabulous seamstress. I wish I had time to sew, but I'm stuck buying dress up clothes for the beautiful granddaughters.
Take care,
Vickie Ahlstrom

Ace said...

I think your Lucy and Ricky costumes might be my favorite couple costumes. Ever.