Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Conchas

One of the many many highlights of our visits to California (and the culprit for pounds of weight gain). No, it's not Sammy. It's what he's holding:

Have you ever had one of these carbohydrate mammoths? They are covered with a sugary stiff but not hard frosting, and are filled with airy, sweet goodness. Fernando calls them conchas and Miranda calls them sweetbread. Sam calls them "dat."

I've bought them at various places in Utah, each time holding onto the hope that they will fulfill all that we've come to expect. Alas, we haven't found one to match the kind we can get at the Seminario house in CA. My mother-in-law buys them at Vallarta, fresh. They're not so good stale. If anyone knows a good place in Utah to buy them, please tell us. Or don't. Any plans for healthy eating in 2009 might be obliterated.

These cute little faces are not acting. The conchas really are that good.

7 comments:

Anna Alicia Kailani Wilson said...

Adorable pictures-like always! I found your blog through Susie's- I hope you don't mind that I sneak on cause I love reading your postings! I hope everything is going well with la filia.

LittleFamilyJL said...

Dat look goooooooood!

jakenapril said...

those look sooo good!

long story short: i went to byu with fernando (where he was my fhe dad!). now my daughter goes to school with fernando's nieces and nephews at WPA...where his sister-in-law teaches. small world...

Calli said...

I've never had one of these, never been to the children's museum and never been snowshoeing...somehow reading your blog has left me with feelings of jelousy and like I'm truely missing out on life as you know it.

Outsideofacat said...

aaaahhhh.... I VANT VAN !!!

:-D

Elise said...

Look good!!! Thanks for your sweet note!! I love seeing all the thing you guys are up to- and your kids make me laugh. Thanks for sharing all the moments. Sometime I wanna see the videos from YouTube you're talking about for EFY....how crazy!!

Molly said...

Oh, to be Miranda in that last picture!!
It's so great when you go on vacation and there is amazing food waiting for you there. Your life is so tasty, Sharon!