Fernando always offers to go pick up the bushels in Orem. You might think, "Awww, what a nice guy." And you would be right. But the TRUTH is that he eats at least half a bushel himself as he drives. He doesn't even care about peeling them or anything...he rubs off the fuzz and eats them! Wild man. He loves them!!!
Then we girls can them for a few days. We settle right into our traditional gender roles and echo our pioneer ancestras (I think I just made up a word! Yeah!) and cut and boil and skin and seal and get sticky. We can and can until we think we have a ridiculous amount of peaches to store for the winter.
But, alas, we never can enough! We are about to run out of peaches people! And September is still a few long months away. Hopefully cantelope and watermelon can stave us off.
No one loves the peaches more than Patrick and Fernando, and maybe Sammy. They even compare and rate the various canned peaches (by year) against one another. 2007 was the best all around year, and they retired those peaches a few months ago. I know it was tough for them to say goodbye.
I guess I just needed to document the way canning peaches has become more than just something we do, it has led to numerous good memories and family traditions. I think those ancestras had it right.
5 comments:
I have never canned anything in my life. You have to invite me....or I have to invite myself over in September for a lesson.
Did you know that that orchard is going to be sold in the not too distant future and houses put up instead(or so we were told by the owners when we went last time)?! I guess they are getting old, and their children are going to sell it when they are finished there. It makes me want to cry...and by "cry" I mean my primeval manly war cry against those horrible ingrates that the orchard people actually still call their children when really they are selfish terrorists against everything we peach lovers hold to be sacred. Anyone who conspires to eliminate our peach reserves must not be able to do so without resistance, which is why I plan to chain KT to the biggest tree in that orchard as an act of defiance until they change their minds and commit themselves to the motto "save the peaches." (I'd chain myself to the tree, but I've already made prior commitments after the month of September.)
But seriously...can you imagine a life without those peaches?
hey girl! i am coming up to utah next month and was wondering where you are...maybe we could get together one morning? let me know! i'd love to see you, it has been so long. i am staying in lehi but we are going to Temple Square at least on of the days...are you close by?
I love this post because I can say AMEN with a resounding echo. That is one thing I hate--yes, I do use that word hate about living in AZ. NO GOOD PEACHES!! Argh! I miss them terribly. I need to get my fix when I am in Utah in July.
Deron can't get enough of Peaches either. His family make peaches and cream all the time. I don't know why they are so obsessed with it. I mean don't get me wrong, they are great, but not for breakfast lunch and dinner. Gee! :)
Post a Comment