Since I'm sorta getting off topic here already I will mention that I recognize that I lapsed a bit on my blogaday, and thank my brother for cajoling me back into blog activity. He also asked if our family in Cali are okay. The fires got SO close to their house...to the hotel we stayed at last time if you remember, Chinese people...but it's under control now. We have more details we will share later when we catch you online.
Another thing I should mention because I'm off topic. SAM did not sleep very well last night which resulted at us watching Lawrence Welk from 4-5 AM. I am also wondering why we don't have a Lawrence Welk type show these days. There are lots of talented people I would love to watch perform wholesome and fun stuff week after week. Why does every talent show have to be a competition instead of just for the entertainment? Wow I'm opinionated today. I did get to watch a women's conference talk that was excellent until 5:30, so thank you Sam. You could not have convinced me I would live to say that two hours before when I was trying to battle him back to sleep.
So, back to public transportation. I think I could figure out how to take it most places I want to go. Since the car I drive won't pass inspection I've been thinking about how to take the bus/trax places more often, and so the other night I decided to try it. The moral of this story will be that it is easier to take public transportation WITHOUT two toddlers PLUS a double-stroller that won't fold up properly, three jackets, two hats, milks, a binky...you get the picture.
The kids on the bus go up and down...


But we did have fun. We had to ride three different buses and walk a bit to get where we were going, but it was surprisingly quick and an adventure. And we only had one potentially unsettling experience with a guy offering the kids treats out of his backpack. I refused before he could produce said treats so we may have really missed out.
We got a bit crazy after a while. But that happens no matter what we're doing.

6 comments:
You are a brave woman, I say. I'll stick to my car, thanks. :( Sorry, I don't share your enthusiasm for the bus....to each his own, I guess. But I'm proud of you for doing it. Good job! And your kids are so cute!
i can hardly handle it with one child. if you ever need a ride you can call me. we don't do anything.
I'm with you on the public transportation Sharon! However, a certain person with squinty eyes and a bun in the oven is not. What a geek.
p.s. that's a nice pose by Miranda. What does she call it? Please ask the two little geeks if they want anything special from China when we come back.
Ahhh, your random, opinionated thoughts. So fun to catch them all written out. :)
I love the adventures you take your kids on. They love you for it! To the moon and back! Go, Sharon, Go!
p.s. Did I read that last comment right, your brother is going to be a Daddy??!!
This summer Emma, Evan and I took the bus from LA back to Las Vegas. We almost got left in Barstow and I had a hard time keeping them quiet for the rest of the passengers. It was an ordeal but is was definitely better than my experiences flying. Another good point is that Emma says "my bus" every time we pass one. I guess she has good memories.
I will tell you why I feel that public transportation works here in Europe and not in the States. I live in Onex, Switzerland. It is considered a "suburb" of Geneva and it is, no lie, less than 3 miles from downtown Geneva. Things here are just so much closer and so the distance covered is significantly shorter making it easier to actually go somewhere with your kids.
For example, last week I took James to the Natural History Museum here and it is a bit futher away than just downtown. It is a whole 3.5 miles away and it took us 20 min. on the bus. Well, it was 2 buses but still. And it let us off pretty much across the street from the museum so it was quite feasible and even if I had a car here, which I don't, I would have used the bus to get there as parking in these cities is insane.
That is it works here and not at home. Don't get me wrong. I am totally going through car withdrawls but the public tranportation here is actually workable, even with kids.
I couln't help but throw in my two cents.
Post a Comment