Disclaimer: This is one of those posts where the mom talks about her cute and lovable kids because her feelings are sincere and because she plans to print out her blog as a journal of sorts, knowing that her post may not be as adorable or image-evoking for readers as it is for her.
THREE THINGS of MANY I love about Cherub 1:

1. Make believe. The first thing we do every day is play Aladdin (the street brat we call him) and Jasmine. She gets the same outfit on and we do the same script every morning. It's as usual as making the bed or eating breakfast. Throughout the day as I do various things she transitions to different stories: Belle and Gaston (Belle marries Gaston in her version), Hunchback, Cinderella, Pinocchio (I'm the bad fox who tries to get her to choose the wrong and she always chooses the right...Katie made this one up), Wizard of Oz, Kung Fu Panda, the real Christmas story (baby Jesus) and, more recently, American Idol. If she could choose, she'd always be someone else in another dimension. I guess there's not enough angst and conflict in our regular lives... There are rare, idyllic moments when she says, "I just want to be Miranda princess right now." Those are the BEST.
2. She loves being good. She was getting into sort of a routine with her bedtime prayers...I know, she's THREE...but anyway we taught her about saying different prayers and thinking about what you want to say. The result: some really heartfelt prayers PLUS she throws in all sorts of religious phrases, making her prayers sound really formal and grandiose: "and follow of the Holy truth of the promise of scriptures"...stuff like that.
3. A little dance she does where she shakes her hips, closes her eyes, purses her lips, and points her pointy fingers up and down.

THREE THINGS of MANY I love about Cherub 2:

1. He says, "Ohhh Great(it sounds like gweat when he says it), Not this again..." Usually he says it during the space between the moment after he routinely takes his own diaper off and flings it onto the floor and the moment he begins running around the house gleefully yelping "Nakuh boy!" (You can guess that translation.) But he also says it at random times when something goes wrong or something is silly..."Oh gweat. Not THIS again."
2. He loves boy things like punching and battling and chasing, and planes and trucks and buses. As soon as we get in the car he starts pointing out all the buses. He's good, too. He can spot a very obscure bus. Too bad there's not any money in that ability, because he's got talent. He also starts counting at number 4. "Four, five, six." He knows about 1,2,3, but he's beyond that, people. That was SO three months ago.
3. He's snuggly--he loves to have my face right by his with both hands wrapped around my neck when he's falling asleep. And I love it too. Someday he'll be a teenager, ya know? And he pulls great faces and has a great sense of humor. He loves to sit and look at the mirror and pull faces and laugh at himself. I think that's a good sign.

I guess I put a lot of things into Sammy's three. I could go on, you know I could. Lately I've been looking at the kids and feeling like they're going to grow up so fast. I hear Miranda singing a made up song or Sammy splashing in the tub and I get wistful and nostalgic and mourn, a little, the loss of these perfect moments to time. But I am lucky for each little second I get. And it makes the truth of eternity, with no time to lapse and run and fleet, much more desirable. I love Elder Holland's The Ministry of Angels and these little cherubs are living proof of God's hand in my life every day.
5 comments:
1- Are there really OBSCURE BUSSES? I mean a bus is pretty big, not that I'm, doubting your angel's gifts, just wondering.
2- You know, that "nostalgia" feeling usually ends up leading to the making of more babies...
:o)
you made me cry ...what sweet little cherubs! I've never had a conversation with Sam ... but Miranda is precious! She knows I have a good reputation and once asked me how many angels I knew ... and she said that I don't lace cards as well as I should at my age though !She's adorable!
Oh my gosh. I don't even know what to say. I just feel very lucky and blessed to able to know your family and call you my friends.
What a post. Perfect wording, Sharon. Reading this makes me want to cuddle, squeeze and laugh with my kids.
And I love your cherub background. You're in the Valentine mood, I love it! Valentine's day always is too short lived. I wish it was on February 28th! XOXOXOXOXO!
They are such cute little angels. And you are such a great mother!
Post a Comment