
I came in here this morning to post some fun pictures of the kids and I ended up reading more about the earthquakes in the Sichuan province, where my sister is at right now in a BYU study abroad. My heart aches for all of the people who have lost everything, including their loved ones.
Katie is okay. She and the other girls in the study abroad were on the 2nd floor in the hotel when the quake began. She said they got under the door frames, and then there wasn't enough room so she and some others had to run to another door frame in the bathroom. She said it felt just like the rolling and shaking earthquake rides some amusement parks feature. One of the girls started singing "A Child's Prayer" and a few others joined in. She heard another girl yelling to them to pray. Katie just felt a peace come over her and she knew they would be okay, even though she still wondered if the floor was going to fall out in places. The quake lasted through the whole "Child's Prayer" song so you can imagine how massive it was.
They had to evacuate, go back into the first floor, then evacuate again during the aftershocks. They'll be able to go back into their rooms once the building is inspected, and they have food and the faculty in charge plans for the group to remain where they are and continue the study abroad.
We're obviously really, really thankful she's safe. But the moments of wondering and waiting have made me think of all of those who did lose loved ones in the earthquake. I wish there were more I could do. For now we'll just keep praying.
5 comments:
So glad to hear that Katie is safe. That is quite a scare having her over there in such a huge disaster. Keep us posted.
Oh, I am so grateful to hear the Katie is okay. I have watched some of the footage on the news and have been so saddened to see all the destruction. It makes me feel so blessed. Our prayers are with them.
Oh Sharon! I am so glad Kaite is safe and that she had The Comforter tell her all would be o.k. Construction in some places is so poor in China, I'm so relived to hear that Katies building didn't colapse. What an incredible growing experience for Katie. She is one incredible woman.
Wow. Scary. I'm so glad she's ok. What a cool story, though.
I can't watch too much of what's going on over there b/c I get so overwhelmed. What can we do? What can I do? I feel so helpless. It's so, so sad.
I'm so glad that she is okay. I had no idea she is over there. I am so glad that we have the blogs to keep connected. She will be in our prayers.
Post a Comment