Wednesday, October 22, 2008

witches should hang out with witches

Well, here I am trying my blogaday. Sorry to my mother-in-law who will probably be home from work by the time I hit the "post" button and who I think would like to see her grandkids' pics more than once a month.

So Fernando had a few days off during UEA, and though he SERIOUSLY likes to spend his days off lately doing strange dad like things like organizing our storage closet, replacing light bulbs, fixing leaky faucets and etc. (what?!), I did get him to spend one day doing fun stuff. Well, I think he made salsa first. Which he did find fun. But I was planning serious fun for him! Problem: what is considered fun for women (and children who can express themselves in sentences) may not necessarily be considered fun for males (and kids who use two-to-three words together to express their disapproval).

I wanted to go to the "Little Witches Festival" at Gardner Village. Those of you who know me well may know that I can sometimes treat holidays like a requirement rather than a fun escape. YOU MUST DO THE STUFF THAT IS CONSIDERED FUN EVEN IF YOU DO NOT THINK IT IS FUN!!!! I'm trying to morph myself. But changing yourself is hard, people. And so it was that we went to the Festival. Grandpa and Grandma Baugh met us there for lunch and to walk around, and Katie went as well.

The whole thing was just a challenge of seeing the cute stuffed witches behind throngs of women and children, trying to steer a double stroller (Fernando's job...)through winding paths and up and down stairs and through piles of people windowshopping and chatting leisurely, and waiting for TWO HOURS to eat at the restaurant.

At one point where the crowd was especially loud and tight, Fernando said, "Do you really, actually think this is fun? Fun to me is being up in the mountains in the quiet AWAY from all these people." He didn't say it in a really mean way, he was just honestly wondering if I was completely crazy. (You'd think he would KNOW by now.)

Fernando and Grandpa, and Sam I guess, were outnumbered 30 to 1 by women. I probably should have expected that something involving a bazillion babies and chatty ladies might not be the thing for a relaxing day off.

After the whole ordeal, I mean, uh, outing, was over, we were saying goodbye to my grandparents and Grandpa said, "Well, I'm glad I've done this so I never have to do it again."

Don't count on me to remember that next year, when I repeat the whole thing over again, for "fun."




5 comments:

pappyu said...

Yeah, I was all sad about us not being there for Halloween, but after reading this post I am kinda glad. Crafty witches, 2 hour lines, Miranda and KT pointing their fingers with attitude . . . count me out!
I think the picture that shows Sammy being more interested in the hanging lights than the "festivities" around him is, in its most base and pure form, a poignant expression of how the male species reacts to such situations. In other words . . . BOOOOORING!!

Jana said...

I can't stand crowds, so I would have been no fun at all =o)

Stacy said...

Sharon I totally feel you. It is not that the activity isn't fun, it is that all the people ruin it! I love Gardner Village, but I hate that so many other people do too and the wait for Archibalds never ends up being worth it, you know?

Amy & Greg said...

I wish that I could have been there with you guys! Actually, Greg and Fernando could have gone and done something in the mountains and we could have strolled the kids around. I love the witches!

Lexie said...

You crack me up! I love it because me and Todd are the same way. I LOVE events, parties, anything that says festive (especially if it includes free) and Todd does not love crowds. He too thinks vacation involves getting away from craziness and crowds. Tell Fernando Todd feels his pain because, like you, I continue to love things like that year after year, after year.