Fernando and Sharon hold cultural appreciation, understanding, and respect as valuable to pass on to their posterity. So let it be written so let it be done. Here's how it's going so far:
Sammy: After "Dad," his only intelligible words have been "luz" (Light in Spanish), "ji dan", which is "egg" in Mandarin (thanks, Xiao Yu), and "Patrick," who speaks Mandarin. He loves to say "ji dan", when he's falling asleep at night or trying to wake up in the morning, he'll just lay there and repeat it over and over again. While he's strolling about he says it. Sometimes he likes to hold the first syllable out until I start doing the same thing, so we have a fun little "jiiiiiiiiiii" duet. So that's how Sammy's doing in the cultural appreciation category.
Miranda: The other night I served her some soup. She looked at it and tenatively touched it with her pointer finger. Then her eyes fuzzed over a bit as she started thinking of a story that could help her successfully approach the soup. This is commonplace for Miranda, as she frequently copes through adopting alternative personalities, stories, or characters. Finally, she looked at me and said, "I'm Mulan, because Chinese people like disgusting things."
I guess we have a bit more work to do.
6 comments:
This is L, and I just wanted you to know that P & I laughed wildly at Miranda's coping mechanism. What better way, after all, to celebrate the Chinese New Year?
oh to be as smart as an eleven? month old. he knows where it's at. how'd you get him to say any of it? genius.
Of course Sam is talking, I mean, he's walking, why shouldn't he be talking too! I am thinking that his older and obviously very wise and well versed older sister might have something to do with his early accomplishments. I wish I could be a fly on the wall in your home...although Mulan might try to get me with her chopsticks, but then she wouldn't be Mulan now would she...she would be Mr. Miaggi.
It was good to see you guys at Kristens a few months ago. We freaking love your kids!
hey shar you might want to check this out. http://chadshannonandfamily.blogspot.com/
good memories.
I am dying!! THat was so funny! I only hope that ANdrew will say such hilarious things one day.
Post a Comment