At the library story time the other day, the theme was cars. The books, activites, and songs all revolved around that coveted adult responsibility of navigating a huge piece of metal on busy and unpredictable strips of cement. You can tell how much I enjoy driving.
Anyway, during one of the songs, the kids were supposed to make the sounds of several car functions: beep beep--horn, swish swish--wipers, and then the teacher introduced the third sound: a spitting-your-tounge-out-raspberry-sputtering sound. I think it was supposed to be the sound of the car's exhaust or revving up or somethiong. We're not allowed to make that sound at our house because it is the sound of a toot and thus making that sound is not polite.
So when the teacher introduced the sound, all the other kids started making the sound and laughing. Miranda looked over at me and said, "That's pretty disgusting." "Disgusting" is her favorite word right now next to "Why?" I was laughing inside, and then she put on a more serious face and said, "I'm not coming to this library anymore!" You libraries better step it up because it doesn't take much to offend us.
4 comments:
SHARON!! I can not believe how GORGEOUS your little family is...I don't know what I expected since you have always been beautiful. I hope you don't mind that I read your blog, I was blog surfing from Patrick and Lindsay's. Your darling Miranda is adorable and I agree toot sounds are "disgusting".
i like the new background cher. (i feel like that's how i should spell it) and miss those kids of yours and all the whys
Have I already commented? I'm losing my mind. I will comment here, just in case.
Miranda is a doll! What a hoot. Madi has not gotten into the "whys" yet, thankfully.
If I could write as well as you do, I would write on my blog 15 times everyday. I LOVE reading your blog.
And you inspire me. I don't know if I would have been as cheerful and upbeat if Madi had slammed me in the face with a bathroom door!
This is my favorite post yet! It has it all: your perfect parenting, as you are at a library on car day. Your perfect daughter, who is disgusted at the perfect sound. And the perfect solution: Not, "I'm not coming back to this woman anymore." Oh no, this is an institutional problem, any business that would endorse this woman behaving in this manner is not worthy of my patronage. I am sure there are other libraries that would feel the same as I do. We should be there.
Also, I love that your kids know that there are more than one library. When I was young, I thought Orem Elementary had thought of this great place to put all the books no one knew what to do with. I was 26 before I knew there was a public library, I just thought the Police Station was over prepared for a Nazi-esque book burning should the word come down the pipes.
(I am positive that in trying to tell you what a good mother you are, I have made a bad impression of my own. She was perfect too, as you well know.)
Post a Comment