For Christmas, Daddy bought Miranda a 9-1-1 book. It has real phone buttons on it, and leads Miranda through several scenarios when it would be appropriate to dial 911. If she does so successfully, the book begins to make sounds like "911, This is an emergency!" followed by sirens that are realistic enough to make Sammy cry and cower in my arms.
Of course, Daddy got this book so that Miranda would be able to save her own and/or the rest of our lives by dialing 911. Surely you've seen toddlers do such things on those TV programs that recount amazing real-life situations. The book gives specific information to Miranda, telling her that she should first look for a grown-up to help, and if no grown up is available to help her, she needs to call 911. It also makes clear that dialing 911 is NOT for fun, and should only be done in real emergencies.
We called Mami Rosie (Fernando's mom) the other night so Miranda could tell her some VERY exciting news. "I went in the big girl potty ALL DAY!" Rosie was so happy. She told Miranda, "I'm so proud of you! I will send you some more big girl panties in the mail!" I said, "Tell Rosie what you do if you feel yourself needing to go peep."
Miranda: "I tell Mommy, 'I feel some peep, I need go to the big girl potty!' and if there are no grown-ups around, I call 9-1-1!"
10 comments:
Miranda's potty training is quite the experience. She gets stickers for every successful time in the lou. I'm jealous. Maybe I should get a sticker for every time she doesn't make it to the potty, and one of my shirts that she wears as a her "dress" gets a damper. Love her though, wouldn't have it any other way.
~ the soggy aunt
Don't you love potty training and how a 2-year-old thinks? Thats a great story!
Your kids are so cute. I love kids' minds, the things they come up with are so crazy. I also love that you call it "peep".
i'm sure those operators could help her although they might not approve. ha ha ha. so funny. congrats miranda! our nephew announced that he was doing the same thing yesterday. we left and she got it, we came home and he got it. we've got good kharma or something
Ha ha! That is so funny! Yeah, maybe you should read that book again with her. But what a clever idea. I didn't know that they made books like that. :)
I've seen that book! A little girl came to nursery with it and she was all about calling 9-1-1 too! It's kinda a scary book as I remember as it starts off with your regular emergencies, 'If you see someone won't wake up' (Picture of girl with a grandma.) 'If someone gets really hurt.' (Picture of someone hurt.)
Then it got scarier, which incidentally, already scary (Grandma won't wake up?!) but then it goes for broke with 'If your house is on Fire.' (Picture of little girl looking back at her home up in flames.) or 'If you see someone with a gun. (picture of the scariest, trench coat wearing, unshaven prowler I've ever seen in 2-D, wielding a semi-automatic gun in a park.)
Now at the time I thought it was a bit much but thinking of Miranda in said situations it is much better to have her calling 9-1-1 (Which is the correct thing) because she has that book that tells her to...even if she has to peep.
~p
This is great! What would make it an even better story is if, a few weeks down the road, she couldn't find you and called 9-1-1 when she had to go potty. :)
I NEED to get your advice on potty training. I'm thinking of taking the plunge (no pun intended) in a few weeks over Spring Break. I'm kind of nervous. :)
That is the cutest thing. What a smart girl. I mean when you gotta go you gotta go ya know!!
Hey Sharon! I can't believe I found you on blogspot. This is your cousin Jenna. Love your blog. It was great to see your cute family at the party.
-Jenna
SO cute! She sounds alot like Blythe was, almost too smart!
Post a Comment