Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Siblings

Right now Samuel's favorite thing, besides swinging outside or dogs, might be hitting his sister with any available object. I've seen him hit her--or try--with a multitude and quite a stunning variety of items.

Last night Miranda came tearing into the family room with sheer terror on her face and climbed up to the highest and most inaccessable spot available which is the corner of a ledge above the couch. Sounds dangerous, I know. Not as frightful as the heavy handed Sam.

I apprehended the item of infliction and silently showed it to Fernando before sitting back down to resume watching a recording of the debate (yes people, my husband comes home from a long day of work and school only to sit in front of the television and watch a recorded presidential debate, and what is more astounding...I watch it with him...which now that I think about it pretty well explains an 18 month old entertaining himself by hitting his sister with everything in the house); Fernando took a sideglance at the plastic mini-bat of offense and stated: "Club." I guess we feel it is important to at least recognize his ingenuity in finding things to hit her with.

Aside from the obvious male physicality that drives Samuel's violence, I think he really enjoys Miranda's very dramatic reaction. I've tried to tell her so, but it's difficult to convince someone who is being chased with a toddler holding a ROCK over his head that she should calmly not react. I find paralell in this example to myself and my tendency to allow fear to enroach upon my faith. It is easy to be calm and trusting when things around me are calm, but more challenging to have faith and be still when there is uncertainty or when I make myself or allow myself to think that there is some rock hanging over my head. I'm not sure who Sammy represents in that analogy but you get the point, I hope.

Sammy also likes to try on shoes of all kinds. His favorite are green rainboots of Miranda's with faces on the toes. Can you blame him? If you had the option wouldn't YOU wear them whenever you could?

Even though Sammy likes to terrorize his sister on occasion, they love each other a lot, and I am so happy to see this since Fernando and I both love our siblings and value our sibling relationships so much. Sometimes Sammy and Miranda love each other to the point of annoying each other, and I want to send a little shout out to our siblings to say SORRY if we do that sometimes. Love is at the heart of how annoying we are. :)

Anyway, I have a few fleeting moments to straighten up, bathe, and mentally and spiritually prepare, at least 2 of which I may not complete, before the hitting and loving begins, so I'll leave you with these:


(the boots)





7 comments:

Angie said...

I love your posts Shar. Keep up the good blog-work :) Also, I found Emily Hillstrom's blog & it is AWESOME. Did you know she lives in Hong Kong? Reading her posts makes me realize that she must've always had an amazing personality that just wanted to burst out & I wish I had been closer friends with her. Here is her blog: http://emilyandhongkong.blogspot.com/

Melissa said...

I love your blog, Sharon. Your kids are so cute....but here's a thought for you. I have 5 (FIVE) little "Sammie's" running around my house. (and I'm the one being chased...ha, ha). No seriously, Sammie is a cutie....but he is a boy after all. :) (and trust me, I can spot them anywhere).

mckenzie said...

heh heh. i can see the evil wheels turning now.

Stacy said...

Our boys are two of a kind and they really should get together. Zander not only hits Ashton with any available object, but the rest of us too. You can be just sitting there minding your own business when...whack!! You get side-swipped by a toy sword or worse (brooms are a favorite of his). He knows the face is the worst and he aims for it every time. My husband says he is just trying to copy his brother playing swords but I think something more sinister is at work here. Come to think of it, maybe Sammy and Zander should NOT get together, who knows what havoc they could create if they joined forces. Miranda wouldn't have a chance :)

pappyu said...

Ha ha ha! Sammy make me laughing!
But seriously, aren't you ever tempted in the slightest to hit Miranda on the head with something too? I know that one of the first things I am going to do when I get home (not in front of Sammy of course . . . probably . . . ok not in front of Sammy and you) is at least threaten to hit Miranda on the head with something. Why? Because it is just plain ol' fun to see someone get all scared and freak out like that . . . especially when you are the cause. Power Sharon, power. The power to get that kind of reaction is a beautiful, although arguably evil, thing upon which brothers look for their greatest source of pleasure. Hopefully soon (if he hasn't already) Sambo will figure out that after a while of making actual noggin-pounding contact, that you don't even have to really hit your sister to make her freak out. And then eventually, when you reach a certain level, all you have to do is give her a certain look, and she will freak out and book it out of the room screaming bloody-murder.
I have to point one thing out here though, and that is that your originally brilliant/loving plan has completely backfired on you. What am I talking about? I remember one time when Sammy was attacking Miranda, and she started to defend herself. And then you told her, "When Sammy attacks you, what do you do? You come and tell me, 'Mommy Sammy is attacking me.' and I will come take care of it." This is obviously the "best" way for a good parent to solve the problem, teaching her a lifelong lesson on avoiding vengeful acts of physical abuse...which will now ultimately make her, yes, a wimpy wimp face tattle-tale head. So now, instead of Miranda just woppin' him back, she runs in complete terror, that's right, to her mommy. When in reality, the quickest way to teach little bro. a lesson is to show him how it feels. The laws of physics actually demand that for every action there must be a equal or greater reaction! That's right, Sammy needs to be whacked on the head with a club, remote control, or a hairless barbie. His wrathful hand needs to be checked, and his growing power curbed, or who knows what will happen. But who will do the dirty deed? Not Miranda, you have already eliminated that possibility (please see the above "wimpy wimp face tattle-tale head"). Not you, Fernando, Grandma, or even Pa. No. What you need is someone well versed in the realm of "tough-love." Someone who has both been whacked upon the head, and has whacked others. Someone who loves Sammy like her own, but who will also regulate him like it ain't no thang but a chicken wing. Someone who smiles like an angel, but who eats fish heads for brefast. Someone . . . someone named Xiaoyu.

Angie said...

TAGGED YOU, check my blog for details!

Lisa said...

Hey Sharon! It's been forever! I found a link to your blog from Dave Smith's. I'm new to the blogging world and can't believe I didn't get into it sooner! It is so fun to see what you and your family have been up to! You have beautiful kiddos!!!